10 Best Protein Powder for Men 2017
Whether you are just starting out or are looking to switch things up a bit, the world of protein powders can be overwhelmingly complex. It can also be daunting when you consider exactly when you are supposed to take each supplement and why. To assist you with finding the right protein powder we have created this short guide for men looking to start to boost their workout.
In addition to our tips we have collected together the top ten products on the market today. By choosing one of these options you will be well on your way to getting the body that you have always wanted.
Few Things to Consider
There are a few questions that you need to ask yourself before you even start looking at the best protein powder for men options in our top ten list.
- Do I Really Need Protein Powder? It all comes down to the sheer amount of protein that is required for a high-intensity workout and gaining mass. Getting this level of protein through whole food and not a protein powder supplement is incredibly time-consuming, think about how long it takes to eat a steak, and much more expensive than buying powder. While it isn’t necessary it is certainly recommended.
- How Much Protein Do I Need To Achieve My Workout Goals? The general consensus is around 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. For example 160 pounds, 10% body fat = 134 pounds of lean mass = 134g of protein per day. To help you work out the right amount there are great online calculators that you can use.
Top 10 Protein Powders for Men Table
Finding Good Men’s Protein Powder
There are different kinds of protein powder that need to be used at various times throughout a workout. Understanding these differences will largely help you decide which of the top ten protein powders for men is right for you.
- Whey. This is very quickly digested and should be consumed before, during or immediately after your workout. Whey protein is used for immediate energy and should be used when your body is in an anabolic state.
- Soy. This is a difficult product to label as there is a great deal of debate over the benefits of this protein. It is a space to watch but not a protein to include in your routine until further research has been carried out.
- Casein. This is a protein that takes longer to digest which means it shouldn’t be used during or after workouts. Casein should be used at any time that whey powder is not being used.
- Blend. To get the most out of a protein powder a blend is highly recommended. This is especially the case for beginners as it gives you a great all round effect. The only restriction of using a blended protein is that it should not be used before or after a workout.
Top 5 Best Protein Powder for Men Reviews
BSN SYNTHA-6 is the protein powder you should use when you want more intense workouts and more protein per serving to put into your regular diet. This powder has 24g per serving of the powder which is great for giving you that extra boost without adding too many calories on days when the workout may be less intense or on a rest day. One of the best things about choosing this powder is that you actually won’t mind having it in your diet as it mixes perfectly with milk or even water. There are rich flavors for everyone with many of them being close to tasting like regular milkshakes. An added feature of these shakes is that there is fiber as part of the blend. This means that you will not experience any bloating or cramping during workouts as the powder also moves along your digestive system to work properly.
Whether you are building muscle mass or are working towards cutting and getting leaner, having an Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Whey as part of your daily routine can really make a difference during and after workouts. This is especially good for men that are lifting heavier weights and need some assistance with the power and then the recovery afterwards. This option may be more expensive than others on the market but this is justified when you consider that this has more nutrients and a better delivery system for those nutrients than many of the other protein powders on the market today. Within a few days of using this product, you will be able to see some results in your workout as you have more power for lifting and are able to get more of the good nutrients from the shake for toning.
The first thing that you may notice about Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard is that the label is more accurate and those of the competition in terms of explaining which ingredients are actually a part of the powder and which ones are just trying to sell more products. This is a great standard protein powder to have around as a performance enhancer before a workout or during and as a recovery drink afterwards. It mixes well, there are some tasty flavors and you can be sure that your body is getting the protein it needs to take on heavy lifts and workouts.
With a decent flavour and ingredients that actually include a good amount of protein and nutrients, the Muscle Pharm Combat is really everything you could ask for from the best protein powder for men. This is great to be used during any aspect of a workout or daily routine. It gives you a boost in results and performance without too many added fats and sugars. You should mix the powder thoroughly, possibly even in a blender to get the best results. When you do this there will never be any clumps and you can get the most out of the shake. This is also a powder that packs a good punch of protein in each serving so you will be able to have less and get better results overall. It should also be said that this combination and powder is easy on the stomach so you won’t have to deal with any bloating or cramps.
Whether you need added protein in your diet because your body doesn’t digest enough from food or you need to enhance your workouts, GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified gets the job done. This protein powder delivers just the right amount of protein for added daily health, muscle building and recovery. This is a great go-to powder when you just want a product that works without any of the fancy claims or added features. It mixes well, comes in nice flavors and will help you get the results you want without adding too many extra fats to your diet.